Border Crossing Information for Blaine, WA

What you need to know about crossing the border between Blaine, WA and British Columbia, Canada.

APRIL 1, 2022 – The Canadian government has lifted the testing requirement for COVID-19. Travelers are still required to submit information into the ArriveCAN app or website before arriving at the border crossing.

US-Canada Border Closure at Peace Arch Park Blaine WA
Peace Arch Border Crossing (Douglas Crossing) at I-5 Exit 276 in Blaine, WA.

The City of Blaine sits on the international border to British Columbia, Canada. Blaine has two border crossings, the Peace Arch crossing (Douglas Crossing) and the Pacific Highway crossing also know as the Truck Crossing (SR-543). There is also a border crossing from British Columbia in to Point Roberts known as the Boundary Bay Crossing.

LINK TO US!   Keep up-to-date with what’s happening in Blaine and Birch Bay! Link to:


I-5 @ Peace Arch
I-5 @ Peace Arch
I-5 @ Peace Arch


contact numbers to help crossing the border!

Canada Border Services Agency:
In Canada call: 800-461-9999 “0”
Outside of Canada: 204-983-3500 “0”

US Customs in Blaine, WA – Border Protection: 360-332-8511

Canada Border Services Agency Information for Travelers

US Customs & Border Protection in Blaine, WA

ENtering Canada

what is needed!

AS OF APRIL 1, 2022 the Canadian government has lifted the testing requirement for COVID-19. Travelers are still required to submit information into the ArriveCAN app or website before arriving at the border crossing.

Currently, everyone from every country that comes to Canada by air, land and sea needs a passport or equivalent travel document. Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card or NEXUS card satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens. If U.S. citizen travelers to Canada do not have a passport, passport card or approved alternate document such as a NEXUS card, they must show a government-issued photo ID (e.g. Driver’s License) and proof of U.S. citizenship such as a U.S. birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or expired U.S. passport. Children under sixteen need only present proof of U.S. citizenship. (Please see below for important information concerning re-entry into the United States).

US aliens are required to bring an Alien Registration Receipt Card as proof of residence. Naturalized citizens should bring their naturalization paperwork. A rule of thumb is bring as much identification as possible, the last thing you want is to get stuck at a border crossing because you didn’t bring enough ID. 

You will be denied entry into Canada if you have any felony convictions, DUI charges, and other major crimes. Minor traffic violations such as speeding, parking, tailgating, etc., don’t count. Also, have your car registration ready if asked.

ENtering THE United States

what is needed!

Currently, everyone from every country that comes to Canada by air, land and sea needs a passport or equivalent travel document. When returning to the United States from Canada, it is very important to note that all U.S. citizens are required to present a valid U.S. passport to enter or re-enter the United States via air. For entry into the United States via land and sea borders, U.S. citizens must present either a U.S. passport, passport card, NEXUS card, Enhanced Drivers License or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document. The only exception to this requirement is for U.S. citizens under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious, or other youth group) who need only present a birth certificate (original, photocopy or certified copy), Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or naturalization certificate.

PLEASE NOTE: An ID and birth certificate will allow most Americans to travel into Canada, BUT they alone are not good enough to get them back to the United States. Entry in to the United States requires a valid passport. American’s should take all of their ID with them including passport to guarantee re-entry back into the United States. Expect car searches as they have become the norm since 9/11. 

Welcome Sign at Peace Arch Border Crossing

Nexus Travelers

For pre-screened travelers.

The NEXUS program allows pre-screened travelers expedited processing when entering the United States and Canada. Nexus lanes are located at the following land border crossings:

  • Peace Arch Park Crossing(I-5 & HWY99),
  • Pacific Highway (Truck Crossing SR543 & HWY15).
  • There is also Boundary Bay Border Crossing in Point Roberts, WA.

Membership in the NEXUS program allows reduced wait times at designated ports of entry by: 

  • using dedicated processing lanes at land border crossings,
  • using NEXUS kiosks when entering Canada,
  • using Global Entry kioks when entering the United States, and
  • calling a marine telephone reporting center to report your arrival into the USA and Canada

Traveling with children

Children under age 16 will be able to continue crossing land and sea borders using only a U.S. birth certificate (or other form of U.S. citizenship such as a naturalization certificate). The original birth certificate or a copy may be used. See the Department of Homeland Security’s Ready, Set.. Go! for more information on the changing travel requirements. 

If you are traveling with children and crossing the border into Canada or the USA, you should:

  1. Carry identification for each child.
  2. Divorced parents who share custody of their children should carry copies of the legal custody documents.
  3. Adults who are not parents or guardians should have written permission from the parents or guardians to supervise the children.

Traveling with Pets

Dogs and cats from the U.S. that are at least three months old need signed and dated certificates from a veterinarian verifying that they have been vaccinated against rabies within the last three years. The certificate must clearly identify the animal.

If your dogs or cats are less than three months old, you do not need a certificate of rabies vaccination to enter Canada. However, the animals must be in good health when they arrive. Most pet foods are not allowed to cross the border.

Entering Canada with your Dog Information 

Entering Canada with your Cat Information 

Information to consider when Adopting a Dog

Dealing with Currency

All physical importations and exportations of currency and monetary instruments equal to or greater than CAN$10,000 or  US$10,000 must be reported to Customs.

Resourceful Links

When crossing the border.

 Click on the buttons to view resourceful information when traveling north and south of the border.

Drive results to your business by advertising on

Billy Brown



8105 Birch Bay Square St.
Ste. #101
Blaine, WA 98230

I have been working with clients to realize their real estate dreams in Whatcom County for over 30 years. I use cutting edge technology to serve my clients with the utmost professionalism and competence through Windermere. Allow me to help you achieve your real estate goals today.

Visit my other website on visiting Birch Bay!